Tuesday, 1 July 2014

Books That Changed my Life

1. The Runaway Wheel

Its tiny. Its six page long - that's how short it is. The story's not too great either - just a silly one about a wheel tumbling down a hill getting in everyone's way and generally being very annoying. Why'd it change my then? Well - because it was where the adventure began!
This was the first book I read completely on my own without my mother's help. And I was a kid of about two and half at that time (go ahead. Do not believe me - I won't judge. Nobody ever believes my age when I say it to them!) But yes, this WAS the book that gave me the permanent hunger for books I still haven't quite satiated yet - and probably (and hopefully) never will. It basically sparked off the romance that was to only magnify over the years between me and books.

2. Andersen's Fairy Tales

The copy that I happen to own is ginormous. I still have difficulty in picking it up and carrying it around. When I was five/six/seven (which is when I read it), someone had to get it out and set it down on the floor for me. But I have this vague memory of lying down in my living during my summer break halfway through one of those endless afternoons, slowly turning pages of that giant of a book, travelling back and forth in time from my tiny corner. 
This book is one of those endless summers for me. It is not having a care in the world - this book for me symbolizes growing up.

3. Harry Potter Series

I started these when I was in the second grade, and like a million other people, Rowling changed my outlook on life by spinning a Utopian bubble in which I permanently resided - all with her words. 
I was an awkward kid growing up(still am, as a matter of fact) and to put it nicely - I was hated for some reason by everyone. Maybe it was because I came off as arrogant. Or pompous. Or both. Who knows? The point is that I resided in a friendless society. But because of Harry Potter I never felt the need to make friends in the real world. I lived in my own realm inside my bubble and thanks to Rowling, was blissfully unaware of it. 

4. Twilight 

Honestly, this one changed me because of how much I hated it. I hate Twilight with the fervent passion people generally reserve for Justin Beiber, and well... Twilight. Its sheer crappiness and BS rendered my obsolete. I remember having to force my way through the book, and it being the first romantic novel I'd read, because everyone around me was busy telling me how "its like totally awesome and stuff"and how "Edward is soooooo cute. I wanna like, marry him." -_-
On a serious note though, thank you Stephenie Meyers for steering me(and a lot of others) away from the realm of shitty teenage rom-com's at the very impressionable age of eleven. 

5. The Fault in Our Stars

Yes, its true John Green writes repetitive novels. But Gus appealed to the weirdo in me (and also to the weirdo in fifty million others). However, more than the story - the words, the ultimate futility of it all, the calm before the storm that'll eventually snuff out the candle some call life, and the courage/audacity/folly to laugh in the face of that approaching storm that you see on the horizon - that is what drew me in. I hated it at the first read. Probably because I'd prolifically been warned that my heart would be shattered irreparably into a million pieces. So I read through the four hundred pages, expecting epiphany to hit me like an oncoming school bus each time I flipped the page. But the arse epiphany is - it never hits you when you particularly want it to. And when I reached the end I was well - unmoved. 
But a re-read made it all clear to me. Oh yes, it broke my heart alright. It broke it into a million pieces. 

4 comments: