Friday, 25 October 2013

Book Review : The Hunger Games




Title : The Hunger Games

Author : Suzanne Collins

Published : 2008

Publisher : Scholastic

My Rating : Damn Nice

Genre : Teen Fiction, Young Adult
From Goodreads: "Could you survive on your own, in the wild, with everyone out to make sure you don't live to see the morning?

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she is forced to represent her district in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before-and survival."                                      

 My Review: I read this book in one go, in four hours non-stop. I loved it, no matter what the others say. My friends forced me to read it, and I gotta admit; it was one of the few good things in life that they did. It is un-put-down-able. The story progresses really fast, and its very difficult to turn away once you've started. The protagonist Katniss, was awesome. Acts first, and thinks later. And with Collins description, it was almost as if the arena was before my eyes, with Cato and Clove and everyone else.  

My feelings about Peeta went on this roller coaster ride in the book. He made me gasp when he proclaimed his love for Katiniss, but I swear, I felt like murdering him when he allied with the Careers. Then when it was found out he did it only for Katniss, I didn't know whether I wanted to trust him completely.  
Gale hasn't been described very well in the book, but I wasn't clear of Katniss' feelings for either Peeta or Gale.
I fell totally and absolutely in love with Rue. She was just this tiny creature whom you instinctively wanted to protect from harm. I admit, when she died, I shed tears of actual misery.                                                               

My Recommendation: Read it. NOW. It'll be one of the things you regret in life if you don't. 

Oh, and Hunger Games trailer!

No comments:

Post a Comment